On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 09:39:04AM +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> I never used the network manager as that is more work for me, I have no idea
> how that works even. ;-)

You and me both.

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-
> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug ens32
> iface ens32 inet static
>         address 172.16.208.19
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 172.16.208.1
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Depending on what services your computer runs, you may wish to change
"allow-hotplug ens32" to "auto ens32".  The latter will cause certain
services (e.g. NFS server) to wait until the network interface has been
brought up before starting.  As you have it now, most services will not
wait.

Of course, if everything is working as you have it, then "don't touch it"
is a wise course.  But you may want to make a mental note, in case a
problem happens at some point in the future.  The usual symptom is
"Such-and-such doesn't start at boot time, but if I login and start it
manually, it works fine.  I checked and the service is enabled, but it
fails."