On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 07:15:12AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> Again, there isn't any agency here.  The RTC is just a resource that
> the system can use, once per boot, to get things started.  It could
> be set correctly, or incorrectly.  It could be set to local time, as
> was common when dual-booting with Windows, or to UTC.  On systems
> that run NTP, the RTC is mostly vestigial.  Its setting has very
> little effect on anything -- perhaps some early logfile timestamps.

Anecdote time:

I used to work in a shop Back Then (TM) (roughly Windows 3.1). We did
C programs for a living and had a mix of Windows boxes and Linux boxes.

Windows boxes were "naive" and had local time. We had a time zone
with summer and winter time.

On time transitions, all hell broke loose with Makefiles, which look
at file time stamps :-)

We ended up setting the Windows boxes to Monrovia/Liberia: no time
jumps *and* (more or less) GMT. No more hassles...

Cheers