Hello,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 04:42:37PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> If I understand that entry in the SMART report, the offending
> sector should eventually be re-mapped or else marked as
> unrecoverable. If the latter, I'll get really concerned.

If a SMART long self-test came back clean then it already has been
re-mapped as a long self-test reads every user-accessible sector.

If you really want to reassure yourself, look back in your logs for
the actual sector number and then read it with hdparm. Either it
prints the raw data or it gives an error.

# hdparm --read-sector [sector number] /dev/sda

(generally safe as it's only a read)

It is annoying when a remapped bad sector doesn't seem to increment
the "remapped" count and decrement the "pending" count, but I've had
it happen. I wouldn't particularly worry about it unless the number
keeps going up OR the actual sector is still unreadable (though the
self-test should have spotted that).

You can reconfigure smartd so that it only warns you about error values
that increase, not just the presence of the non-zero value every 30
minutes. That's discussed in the comments of /etc/smartd.conf and
its man page.

> It's the only one on the computer.

Like to live dangerously, huh…

Thanks,