On 06/01/2024 08:25, David Christensen wrote:
I like to do a secure erase before re-deploying an SSD.  The UEFI ROM firmware in my newer Dell computers provides an option to make secure erase easy.  Other choices include an SSD manufacturer toolkit or install/ live/ rescue media with the right tools.

I have seen a couple of warnings concerning hdparm, but I am unsure concerning current state of affairs. Maybe something has changed.

https://archive.kernel.org/oldwiki/ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase.html>
- Do not attempt to do this through a USB interface!
- Do not set the password to an empty string or NULL.

OBSOLETE CONTENT

This wiki has been archived and the content is no longer updated.