> dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms

Hi all,

I am using a NVidia card, which is using the Tesla-driver version (525.147.XX)
and used the
470.XXX version before.

Both could not be installed by using the above package.

But it got installed using package module-assistant.

Suggestion, how to fix:

First of, move any /usr/bin/gdm|kdm|xdm somewhere else, so the graphical login
manager will
not start.

Secondly, install package "module-assistant".

Third: Run it, command is "m-a", its starts an ncurses surface.

Fourth: go through all the processes: "update" , then "prepare" (which will
download all needed
apps and files like compiler, kernel-headers and so on), then go to "select".

Chose your needed driver version.

Then again, chose "get", which is downloading the NVidia-packages.

Then chose "build" and it will automatiucally create a debian package, which
then will be
installed with the option "install".

After it exit it.

Now: First aof all reboot!

If rebooted, check now with the command "startx" as root, if X is starting. If
yes, mode /usr/bin/
xdm|kdm|sddm|gdm back.

Reboot now again, Voila!

--------------------
Hints: If it is NOT starting, check if the nouveau driver is still loaded. If
yes, try to reboot, if it will
be loaded again, try to blacklist it.

If blacklisting is NOT workin, do the hard way , an delete or remove the
nouveau.ko from the
kernel tree.

--------------------
If X is still NOT starting, check xorg.logs to look for reasons.

Second hint: IIn the past, I got problems with wrong versions. Nvidia said, I
should use i.e.
390xx, but in real, I had to use 340xx. So try also one version prior.

Hope this helps!

Godd luck and

best regards

Hans