On 1/12/24 21:56, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Gene,

There are some indicators of a fundamental lack of understanding
here I'm afraid.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 09:42:54PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
smartctl says my raid10 is dying,

No it doesn't; smartctl works on drives, not mdadm arrays. mdadm
arrays are composed of block devices. Therefore any output you get
from smartd refers to a storage drive, not an mdadm array.

This appears to be true, there are 4 1t drives as a raid10, and the various messages in that mbox file name 3 of the individual drives. But those individual drives cannot now be found by smartctl. So I must be doing something wrong. individually it names /dev/sde1, /dev/sdg1, and /dev/sdd1. but -h offers no syntax help that works

As usual you have not bothered to show us what you are talking about
(the email from smartd), so we are left to guess. We should not
assume that it even says what you think it says.

copy paste from another shell:
gene@coyote:~$ sudo smartctl -i -d /dev/sde1
[sudo] password for gene:
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.0-17-rt-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ERROR: smartctl requires a device name as the final command-line argument.

Ok, got that figure out, the -d specs the interface sat ot whatever.
Then I find the linux has played 52 pickup with the device names.
There are in actual fact 3 sata controller is this machine, the motherboards 6 ports, 6 more on an inexpensive sata contrller that are actually the 4 raid10 amsung 870 1T drives, and 4 more on a more sxpensive 16 port card which has a quartet of 2T gigastone SSD's on it, but the drives are not found in the order of the controllers. That raid10 was composed w/o the third controller.

blkid does not sort them in order either. And of coarse does not list whats unmounted, forcing me to ident the drive by gparted in order to get its device name. From that I might be able to construct another raid from the 8T of 4 2T drives but its confusing as hell when the first of those 2T drives is assigned /dev/sde and the next 4 on the new controller are /dev/sdi, j, k, & l.

So it appears I have 5 of those gigastones, and sde is the odd one
So that one could be formatted ext4 and serve as a backup of the raid10. But since I can't copy a locked file, how do I make an image of that raid10 to /dev/sde and get every byte? That seems like the first step to me.
Neither. /dev/sde1 is a partition on a block device.
/dev/md0p1 is a partition on an mdadm array. Neither one is
something that smartd works with.
I've got that now.

You probably wanted /dev/sde.

Also, the -d option of smartctl specifies the device type. You
almost certainly don't need it. If you don't absolutely know why
you are using -d, don't use it. So:

# smartctl -i /dev/sde

or, heck, get all the info at once:

# smartctl -a /dev/sde

If there is anything in that output that you have questions about,
please make sure to quote the full and unedited output back here to
the list, so we aren't left guessing what the subject of
discussion is.

Thanks,
Andy

/dev/sde1 has been formatted and mounted, what cmd line will copy every byte including locked files in that that raid10 to it?

Thank you

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis