On 1/14/24 19:48, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 14 Jan 2024 at 14:48:49 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
On 1/14/24 07:42, David Christensen wrote:

I am confused -- do you have 4 or 5 Gigastone 2 TB SSD?

5,  ordered in 2 separate orders.

  > So that one could be formatted ext4 and serve as a backup of the raid10.
What I am trying to do now, but cannot if it is plugged into a
motherboard port, hence the repeat of this exercise on the 2nd sata
card.

  > how do I make an image of that
  > raid10  to /dev/sde and get every byte?  That seems like the first step
  > to me.
This I am still trying to do, the first pass copied all 350G of /home
but went to the wrong drive, and I had mounted the drive by its label.
It is now /dev/sdh and all labels above it are now wrong. Crazy.
These SSD's all have an OTP serial number. I am tempted to use that
serial number as a label _I_ can control. And according to gparted,
labels do not survive being incorporated into a raid as the raid is
all labeled with hostname : partition number. So there really is no
way in linux to define a drive that is that drive forever. Unreal...

Interesting to see in how many differents ways you can use the
term "label". BTW I have no idea what an "OTP serial number" is.

OTP=One Time Pad, never to be used again.

On Sun 14 Jan 2024 at 16:47:41 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
ene@coyote:~/src/klipper-docs$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sde
[sudo] password for gene:
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.0-17-rt-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     Gigastone SSD
Serial Number:    GST02TBG221146

                     ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

You see that there? You should find this symlink on your system:

   /dev/disk/by-id/… …GST02TBG221146

pointing at some random /dev/sdX. Where you put /dev/sdX,
put /dev/disk/by-id/… …GST02TBG221146 instead. Then you'll
know you're referring to that disk. Likewise the others.
(As already suggested by David C, Sun, 14 Jan 2024 04:41:51 -0800)

Cheers,
David.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.