On Mon, 2024-01-15 at 19:38 +0100, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing in the journal (and in htop) that rtkit-daemon gives (has
> given) a ton of firefox processes increased priority.
>
> Of course, having tons of web browser processes running at increased
> priority is like one of the last things I would want.
>
> How do I prevent this from happening?
>

> And why is there no control whatsoever about which processes can get
> higher priority?  This is not an acceptable way to do such things.
>
> Is there a better way then disabling/removing rtkit-daemon?  And how
> could I remove/disable it?

PS:

I have --- at least temporarily --- disabled rtkit-daemon by masking
the service and renaming
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1.service
so dbus doesn't try to start it anymore.

I've restarted firefox and am still seeing processes with higher
priority in htop (labled as /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox).  I've checked
with ps that rtkit-daemon is not running.

How can firefox assume a higher priority, and how do I prevent these
processes from assuming higher priority?