On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 08:08:36PM +0100, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't understand why you involve a terminal emulator in the process.
> Do you need to see the data that goes through the COM port displayed
> in a terminal (like minicom)?

People interact with the (remote) application by means of the terminal
emulator. Things get sent to/from the printer based on escape sequences
initiated by the application.

In the original (proprietary) application, the dispatching functionality
is integrated in the terminal emulator, so it is understandable that
pheoebus phoebus wants to keep that structure in the replacement.

I proposed splitting off the "mux" functionality from the terminal
emulator functionality, but I fully understand that phoebus phoebus
favours the more "conservative" approach.

By the way -- back then (TM), when terminals were real things, it was
not unheard of that they came with an attached printer and some bar
code scannery -- all handily multiplexed over the RS-232 (or something
more monstruous), orchestrated via intricate escapery.

So the thing is just a natural evolution dating back to The Dinosaurs.

Cheers