David Christensen composed on 2024-01-16 13:01 (UTC-0800):

> STFW and RTFM I have seen recommendations for and against using whole
> disks for RAID and for and against using partitions for RAID.  And, as
> this in the Internet, there are countless rumors and speculation.  As I
> switched from mdadm(8) to zfs(8) years ago, perhaps another reader can
> explain what mdadm(8) does when given whole disks and when given disk
> partitions.

I've been running RAID1 on pairs of multi-partition disks for well over a
decade,
first with 320G, then 500G, currently 1T. Since the move to 1T, I've replaced
both
disks. Both were originally 512/512 v2.0 Hitachis. Now, one is a ST1000NM0011
512l/512p Seagate Constellation, the other a ST1000DM003-1CH1 512l/4096p Seagate
Barracuda.

They've been divided into partitions to comprise 5-6 md devices, currently 6,
with
small other partitions not parts of any RAID, such as no longer used /boot/s.
Since moving the OS onto an SSD, I have one md device not in use, previously
used
for swap:

# hdparm -t /dev/md0

/dev/md0:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 554 MB in  3.02 seconds = 183.59 MB/sec
#
What can I use to test what its write speed is? I'm not seeing any option to do
so
in hdparm.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata