On 1/16/24 01:05, Felix Miata wrote:
gene heskett composed on 2024-01-15 18:37 (UTC-0500):

Ah,but I finally glombed onto the bug tan memory bar in htop as it was
runniing, someplace in the data chain is a huge memory leak, my crash is
caused by the OOM daemon killing things. And it only occurs when I run
rsync. Only takes it 10 minute to eat 32G of memory, then 500k into
swap, and the OOM daemon start killing the system until there's nothing
left to run.

What does free report before starting rsync? Do you have all your swap on a
partition? Do you have any swapspace?

Actually, swap is in 2 locations, one is a swap-dir on /dev/sda, 47G IIRC, and 60G on md1. Shows in htop as 107G total.

I would log out of XFCE, login on a vtty to open top, then login on another to
try
to run rsync. If that fails OOM too, since the target is ostensibly starting
from
scratch, use MC, and divide the job into the source's directories if necessary.
MC
gets rather bogged down if you try to do a bazillion individual files in a
single
copy operation.

True, but I don't recall it ever failing

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis