On 2024-01-17, Thomas Schmitt <scdbac...@gmx.net> wrote:

> This is just weird.
> I still have difficulties to believe that any disk manufacturer would
> hand out disks with colliding serial numbers. I googled for this
> phenomenon, but except two mails of Gene nothing similar popped up.

I discovered a couple of discussions of the phenomenon, the upshot of which
were:

1) That's what you get when you purchase cheap SSDs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/s0rrpo/two_sata_ssds_with_identical_serial_numbers/

2) SSDs belonging to the same software RAID show identical serial numbers
in software, but these numbers don't match the serial numbers printed on the
SSDs themselves.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/s0rrpo/two_sata_ssds_with_identical_serial_numbers/

But you said *similar*. As Gene's threads have too many movable parts
for me to follow, on that point I couldn't say.