I answered all your questions.  I believe I am using wayland.  I appreciate your help.;

On 1/18/24 1:12 AM, David Christensen wrote:
On 1/17/24 17:40, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
Well I did a back-up, that didn't work, but I didn't know it at the time,

The back up failed?  :-(

Do you need help with data recovery?   Too late for that.

and did a reinstallation from scratch.

Did you install using debian-12.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso?

Did you install a graphical desktop?  If so, which one?  I installed Gnome for the desk top

I now have my sound back

Good.  :-)

after I added back ports to my repositories.

Do you mean backports?

https://backports.debian.org/

What backport package(s) did you require? deb https://ftp.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-backports contrib main non-free non-free-firmware

I now have a system that works but I cannot find any utility to fix the top bar the way I want it. Any hints?

If you are using Xfce, right click on a blank area of any panel and choose Panel -> Panel Preferences.  This will give you a multi-tab app that you can use to customize all the panels.

David