On 1/18/24 20:08, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
I answered all your questions.  I believe I am using wayland.  I appreciate your help.;

YW.  :-)

On 1/18/24 1:12 AM, David Christensen wrote:
On 1/17/24 17:40, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
Well I did a back-up, that didn't work, but I didn't know it at the time,

The back up failed?  :-(

Do you need help with data recovery?

Too late for that.

Ouch.

Please get started doing some kind of backups.  Simple approaches include:

1. Connect a USB drive (flash, HDD, SSD, whatever). Hopefully, the desktop environment will display a pop-up dialog with to mount the USB drive file system and display it in a file manager. Then open another file manager. Drag and drop files from your hard disk drive or solid state drive to the USB drive to back up. Drag them the other way to restore. It helps to create folders with year, month, day-of-month names (e.g. 20240118) on the USB drive, so that you can back up the same file repeatedly and retain older copies. Then put the USB drive off-site, get another USB drive, and continue with backups. Every month or so, swap the on-site and off-site USB drives.

2. If your computer has a CD/DVD/BD burner drive, buy a spindle of blank discs. Look for a CD/DVD/BD burner application via your Start menu (or whatever it is called). Burn important files to an optical disc periodically, and as needed. Keep the burned discs off-site.

Another useful strategy is to put your operating system on one HDD/SSD and put your data on a second HDD/SSD. When you need to re-install your operating system, you can shut down, disconnect the data drive SATA cable, boot installer media, and install the operating system. When the new operating system is working, you shutdown, connect the data disk SATA cable, boot, and configure the system to mount the data drive.

Did you install a graphical desktop?  If so, which one?

I installed Gnome for the desk top

Okay.

What backport package(s) did you require?

deb https://ftp.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-backports contrib main non-free
non-free-firmware

Okay.

I now have a system that works but I cannot find any utility to fix the top bar the way I want it. Any hints?

If you are using Xfce, right click on a blank area of any panel and choose Panel -> Panel Preferences.  This will give you a multi-tab app that you can use to customize all the panels.

I use Xfce and am unfamiliar with Gnome. Perhaps another reader who uses the Gnome desktop can provide instructions for customizing the desktop interface.

David