Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 10:59:55PM +0100, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 1/22/24 6:59 PM, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, even better. It is a long time since I looked at than man page.
> > >
> > > Does this still need to be done with the file system unmounted or can it
> > > be
> > > done with an active file system these days ?
> >
> > You have first to shrink the file system (if it's ext4, you can use
> > resize2fs: note that you can only *grow* an ext4 which is mounted
> > (called "online resizing) -- to *shrink* it, it has to be unmounted.
> >

> I will check it again but I think that file systems in that LVM are ext3. So
> it requires all of them to be unmounted prior to resizing ?

ext filesystems do need to be unmounted when shrinking them (they can
grow online, though). When you use the --resizefs (-r) option, LVM asks
you if you wish to unmount. Obviously you cannot do that on a
fiulesystme which is in use, which means you'll need a live or rescue
environment to do it for the root filesystem.

I'd shrink what else I could and then see where I am at. It's okay to do
them one at a time. LVM will just not do it if there's a problem.
Another thing I sometimes do in these situations is make a new LV and
move some of the things in / out into it where possible, to free up some
more space on /.

Thanks,
Andy