On 1/23/24 06:12, Gremlin wrote:
On 1/23/24 06:04, gene heskett wrote:
On 1/23/24 00:30, Karl Vogel wrote:
On 1/22/24 11:31, gene heskett wrote:

G> How does an 8T backup server sound for another $200 in hdwe?  Very
G> enticing and I do have the sheckel's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQJBSQL
Seagate Desktop 8TB external Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, USB 3.0 STGY8000400
$168.18

What if you buy two, use one for a complete backup and the other for
incrementals or differentials?  (I know, more than $200...)

My disastrous experience with the last pair of seagates preclude exploring that path, ever again. I bought a couple 2T's to replace  2 1T's I had outgrown and had close to 70,000 spining hours on the. They lasted a bit less than 30 days, dropping off the sata cables connecting then, never to be found again. Then I find they were shingled tech, and helium filled so the heads flew lower.

https://www.howtogeek.com/803276/cmr-vs.-smr-hard-drives-whats-the-difference/

I carefully note, the use of Helium and its problems is very carefully ignored.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis