On Thu 18 Jan 2024 at 00:57:07 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
> On 1/17/24 22:44, gene heskett wrote:
> > One thing that bothers me is there is no way the installers parted
> > shows partition names for non-raid disks. To me that is a serious
> > bug. It appears from the help that it can LABEL a partition but
> > can't read that LABEL.
>
> When installing to UEFI/GPT, I am able to label partitions in the
> Debian Installer, the labels are visible in the installer, and the
> labels persist on disk after installation is complete.

Agreed, and that doesn't depend on UEFI; MBR/GPT disks show
the same behaviour. But those are PARTLABELS.

But it may be that Gene meant filesystem LABELs.

Gene, to check/display the LABELs, just place, in turn, the
highlight on the line for each partition, like:

  │   >   #5   31.5 GB    ext4    Viva-B        ▒     │

press Return for it to display:

  │ Partition settings:                                     │
  │                                                         │
  │    Name:                  Viva-B                        │
  │    Use as:                Ext4 journaling file system   │
  │                                                         │
  │    Format the partition:  yes, format it                │
  │    Mount point:           /                             │
  │    Mount options:         defaults                      │
  │    Label:                 viva05     ←←←←←←             │
  │    Reserved blocks:       5%                            │
  │    Done setting up the partition                        │

where Name: ⇒ PARTLABEL and Label: ⇒ LABEL.

Then select "Done setting up …" or <Go Back> to back out each time.

Cheers,
David.