On 2/26/24 17:18, Gary Dale wrote:
On 2024-02-26 16:03, Gremlin wrote:
On 2/26/24 14:36, Gary Dale wrote:
I'm running Debian/Trixie on an AMD64 system. I've installed jami from testing but it fails to start. When I run it from the command line, I get:

$jami &
[1] 7804
$ Using Qt runtime version: 6.
4.2
"notify server name: Plasma, vendor: KDE, version: 5.27.10, spec: 1.2"
"Using locale: en_GB"
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

[1]+  Aborted                 (core dumped) jami
garydale@transponder:~/mnt/archives/2024/Lions Cl

There might be something wrong with my locales but dpkg-reconfigure locales doesn't fix it. After running it, I still get this output:

$locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=iu_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Please note that I have not selected iu_CA.utf8 nor en_GB in my locales.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Edit /etc/locale.gen and enable the locale(s) you wish to use.
Then as root

locale-gen
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Nope. /etc/locale.gen was already correct. Running the commands then rebooting leaves me with the same error messages.

I also set up a ~/.bash_profile to set LANG to en_CA.UTF-8 but that also had no effect. The exact contents are:

LANG="en_CA.UTF-8"
export LANG

You are making a mess, when about to make a mess stop until you have researched your issue.

Start at the beginning not at the end......

Did you reboot or logout and login

dpkg-reconfigure locales is suppose to set /etc/default/locales correctly, it runs update-locale if I remember correctly.

cat /etc/locale.gen

# This file lists locales that you wish to have built. You can find a list
# of valid supported locales at /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, and you can add
# user defined locales to /usr/local/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. If you change
# this file, you need to rerun locale-gen.
#

C.UTF-8 UTF-8
# aa_DJ ISO-8859-1
# aa_DJ.UTF-8 UTF-8