On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 06:47:10PM +0000, jmax wrote:

> Dear Brothers and Sisters:
>
> I am interested in starting some debian projects.  As a homosexual,
> debian-using, black, I am surprised at the low numbers of black and/or LGBT
> members of the debian community. I believe that starting debian-niggers, and
> debian-gay or debian-lgbt projects would help to increase participation of
> the respective parties in the debian community.

I'm not your brother or sister, and not part of your demographic, and I
really don't care whether you do or don't start a SIG on black or LGBT
Debian interests.

However, the word "nigger" is plainly offensive. It's been offensive for
decades, and most recently, whites have been entirely prohibited from
using the word, upon pain of death, while blacks readily use it with
impunity.

If you're going to start a SIG for black/LGBT Debianistas, I'd politely
request you do so without resorting to inflammatory language. I imagine the
term "debian-blacks" would serve just as well without aggravating an already
strongly divided world.

In fact, I suspect the less we pay attention to skin color, the better off
we all will be.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster