On 4/8/24 14:08, Stefan Monnier wrote:
David Christensen [2024-04-08 11:28:04] wrote:
Why LVM?

Personally, I've been using LVM everywhere I can (i.e. everywhere
except on my OpenWRT router, tho I've also used LVM there back when my
router had an HDD.  I also use LVM on my 2GB USB rescue image).

To me the question is rather the reverse: why not?
I basically see it as a more flexible form of partitioning.

Even in the worst cases where I have a single LV volume, I appreciate
the fact that it forces me to name things, isolating me from issue
linked to predicting the name of the device and the issues that plague
UUIDs (the fact they're hard to remember, and that they're a bit too
magical/hidden for my taste, so they sometimes change when I don't want
them to and vice versa).

         Stefan

If I have a hot-pluggable device (SD card, USB drive, hot-plug SATA/SAS drive and rack, etc.), can I put LVM on it such that when the device is connected to a Debian system with a graphical desktop (I use Xfce) an icon is displayed on the desktop that I can interact with to display the file systems in my file manager (Thunar)?

David