On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 12:43 AM Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Here's a shot in the dark. I've looked up and down the internet, and can't
> find a solution.
>
> I have a mini PC which just serves up videos. Daily it backs up to an
> attached drive. This happens with a script in /etc/cron.daily, which
> typically emails results to root. In my case it's aliased to me. I have
> OpenSMTPD installed with this config:
>
> ---
>
> #       $OpenBSD: smtpd.conf,v 1.10 2018/05/24 11:40:17 gilles Exp $
>
> # This is the smtpd server system-wide configuration file.
> # See smtpd.conf(5) for more information.
>
> table aliases file:/etc/aliases
> table secrets file:/etc/secrets
>
> listen on localhost
>
> action "relay" relay host smtp+notls://pa...@yosemite.mars.lan:25 auth
> <secrets>
>
> match from local for any action "relay"
>
> ---
>
> Note: yosemite is my desktop machine; that where I want the mail to be
> sent. "paulf" is a tag in the secrets file. Note that this connection
> between the mini PC (buckaroo) and yosemite should be a plain text
> connection, very simple. My username and password are in the secrets file.
>
> When I attempt to send a test message to check this all works (via swaks or
> mail), I get an error message in the /var/log/mail.log file which says:
>
> "warn: Failed to parse smarthost smtp+notls://pa...@yosemite.mars.lan:25"
>
> Note that the "protocol" doesn't matter. I can use "smtp" alone as the
> protocol, and it still won't parse. And yes, yosemite.mars.lan is in my
> local hosts file.

On the video server, run nslookup and see if it can resolve yosemite.mars.lan.

Looking at the string smtp+notls://pa...@yosemite.mars.lan:25, it
looks more like a url than a hostname. Maybe that is confusing your
mail agent.

Also, I think you should be using *.home.arpa, and not *.lan.
home.arpa is reserved for private use by ICANN and the IETF. I suspect
*.lan is not reserved for private use.

Jeff