On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 03:17:00PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

[...]

> > If your LAN is isolated, you can basically do whatever you
> > want.
>
> And then act surprised when networking breaks :)

You just have to understand what's going on, that's all

> > And then there are "special" TLDs (.local, I'm looking at
> > you) where you'll get lots of fun effects should you decide
> > to use them (zeroconf, I'm looking at you :-)
>
> I _think_ .local is reserved for mDNS. See
> <https://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml>.

It's a while ago -- I went through this in some $BIGCORP.
Windows ops insisted in having the internal top level as
.local (don't ask :-)

For me it was as easy as kicking out Avahi. For the Mac
users it was... interesting :-)

> It looks like .internal and possibly .private are coming soon. See
> <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-top-level-domain-string-for-private-use-24-01-2024>
> and <https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/29/icann_internal_tld/>.

Whatever. Your net, your rules. Just make sure the software
you use plays along (Avahi is fond of .local because of
mDNS, for example).

Cheers
--
tomás