Folks:

This may require someone who's familiar with OpenSMTPD. I have a machine
which does backups (buckaroo) and a desktop (yosemite) which is my main
machine. When anacron kicks off the backup, it should create an email for
root to detail what happened. Buckaroo is headless, so I want that email to
come to me at yosemite. (All this is on a LAN.)

I'm using OpenSMTPD on buckaroo to handle mail. Here's my config:

---
#       $OpenBSD: smtpd.conf,v 1.10 2018/05/24 11:40:17 gilles Exp $

# This is the smtpd server system-wide configuration file.
# See smtpd.conf(5) for more information.

table aliases file:/etc/aliases
table secrets file:/etc/secrets

listen on localhost

action "relay" relay host smtp+notls://@yosemite.mars.lan:25 auth <secrets>

match from local for any action "relay"
---

If I send an email directly to pa...@yosemite.mars.lan from buckaroo, it
arrives. That means this config can do what it's designed to do, basically.
However, mails to "root" on buckaroo don't get to yosemite. They should,
because my /etc/aliases table looks like this:

---
root    pa...@yosemite.mars.lan
---

But it appears that OpenSMTPD doesn't consult this table unless explicitly
instructed to. According to man smtpd.conf(5), you can tell it to scan
through aliases, but only on local delivery, not if the email is outbound.

So does anyone know how to make OpenSMTPD do alias conversions on outbound
mail? Or alternatively, is there a way to hack Debian so that mails
generated from root processes to go an offsite email rather than just root?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com