Le 4/24/24 à 13:11, Dan Ritter a écrit> Also, I think you have meanings
reversed.

apt-cache depends psmisc

produces the list of packages that psmisc needs to function.

apt-cache rdepends psmisc

produces the list of packages that need psmisc to be installed
first.

-dsr-

Dan,
Thank you for your prompt and precise response.
Your expertise has significantly clarified a few misconceptions I had.
As you accurately noted,
the misapplication of the apt-cache command enumerated the packages that
require psmisc as a prerequisite,
instead of the dependencies required by psmisc to function.
Your swift assistance has been invaluable.

I also could have done the same with aptitude search ~R to list reverse
dependencies
and aptitude search ~D to list dependencies

Onward and upward.

--
yassine -- sysadm
+213-779 06 06 23