Hi Juan,

"Juan R.D. Silva" <juan.r.d.si...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I use Skype installed from Debian official repo.  A couple of days ago
> it refused to update reporting "server timed out". After looking into
> it, I found that MS removed Skype.deb package from their server and
> basically forces everyone to use Snap package instead.
>
> Skype is the only app I would need Snap for on my
> system. Unfortunately, I still need Skype and I do not see any
> alternative but to concede to MS (and Ubuntu?) brute coercion.
>
> Any body installed Snap on their Debian system? Any problems with that
> thing? Any suggestions to use Skype otherwise?
>
> Thanks

According to Snap docs[1], Snap has been available on Debian since
Stretch (9).  It looks like Skype page on snapcraft has instructions on
how to install it on Debian[2].

Skype also seems to be available on Flatpak[3], which has the same
version as on Snap (8.119.0.201), so you can also install it there if
you prefer Flatpak over Snap.

I haven't installed it so I cannot tell how well it works.  But I think
you can report to Microsoft should there be any issues.

[1] https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-debian
[2] https://snapcraft.io/install/skype/debian
[3] https://flathub.org/apps/com.skype.Client

--