On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 10:53 PM George at Clug <c...@goproject.info> wrote:

>  [...]
>
> I am guessing you have tried 'Skype for Web' ?  How did you find it? If it
> does not suite your purposes, I would like to know why, as 'Skype for Web'
> might be a solution for myself if it works enough.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/skype-for-web-preview-your-most-asked-questions-9c4836e4-5cdb-4261-ae46-d919b974af8a
> Skype for Web (Preview) - your most asked questions
>
> I want to try the Skype for Web (Preview) experience. How do I do that?
> Please go to https://preview.web.skype.com and sign into Skype.

Skype for Web looks like it could be a good alternative for OP. It has
been around since 2019. Cf.,
<https://www.skype.com/en/blogs/2019-03-skype-online/>.

Both the Linux app from the *.deb and the browser-based app (and other
package formats, like MSI) likely use the web security model, so you
are f**k'd with either one. There's probably no benefit to using one
over the other. Neither can provide a secure channel, and both will
happily allow interception of your calls.

Skype also points people to their community for questions:
<http://go.skype.com/skype.community>. Maybe someone in the community
can answer the OP's questions, like what it's like to use the snap
version of the app.

Jeff