Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing my old workstation with a Lenovo Thinkpad P16 Gen 2. There's one thing that makes me hesitate though: on my current laptop (Thinkpad P1 Gen 1) the external display is hardwired to a specific port. Sadly, I have never been able to use any external display with that laptop. Not with the integrated graphics, nor with the discrete graphics.

I am hoping to prevent this from happening again, as in this case that would be a critical "failure". The idea is that this machine will run with the lid closed using a large external monitor.

In case that might be relevant: I am planning to buy the Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock with this laptop.

Are there any users of this laptop here on the list that can tell me if this exact type of Thinkpad can actually drive external displays when running Debian? I can't find any definite information regarding this issue on the Lenovo website and Google didn't get me any further either.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!

Grx HdV