On 17/6/24 21:22, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 06:26:19PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
On 16/6/24 23:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 06:13:36PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
It was late afternoon on 16Jun2024 that I wrote this. Possibly 18:13:36 when
I pressed send. I'd reckon it would likely have been 08:13:36 UTC  What's
wrong with my system clock. I've not really looked at the time on my
originals before.  I'll try to remember to enter my local time as I press
send

I'm back. The kitchen clock says 18:05. the sun has set. I have no reason to doubt the clock. So I'll answer Greg's questions

What does "date" say?  Paste the entire output.
$>   date
Tue 18 Jun 2024 18:06:31 AEST

What does "cat /etc/timezone" say?  Paste the entire output.

cat /etc/timezone
Australia/Melbourne

is as close as I can specify for my regional city

What does "ls -l /etc/localtime" say?  Paste the entire output.
ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar  4 21:00 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne

Have you set the TZ environment variable?  If so, what did you set it to?
Not that I'm aware of
What time zone are you *actually* in?  Like, what country, and what major
city is nearest to you?

UTC +10:00

Australia, Geelong Our capital is Melbourne

Which NTP client are you running?  Have you checked up on it, to make
sure it's actually running, properly configured, and not spewing errors?

No, but why, when I believe everything I have answered is correct.

If it helps, I have the date as part of my command prompt, always appears right time after an enter; aliases and desktop short-cuts that give me the date and time reliably so far.

Greg, if there is something not right with my answer, please let me know.
Again thanks greatly for your help.

I saw another response about how the MUA deals with the senders date when replying. So fired up claws and sent myself a brief note. when replying to myself, the reply quoted