On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 18:26:39 +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> I'm back. The kitchen clock says 18:05. the sun has set. I have no reason to
> doubt the clock. So I'll answer Greg's questions
>
> > What does "date" say?  Paste the entire output.
> $>   date
> Tue 18 Jun 2024 18:06:31 AEST
>

> > What does "cat /etc/timezone" say?  Paste the entire output.
>
> cat /etc/timezone
> Australia/Melbourne
>
> is as close as I can specify for my regional city
> >
> > What does "ls -l /etc/localtime" say?  Paste the entire output.
> ls -l /etc/localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar  4 21:00 /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne
>
> > Have you set the TZ environment variable?  If so, what did you set it to?
> Not that I'm aware of
> > What time zone are you *actually* in?  Like, what country, and what major
> > city is nearest to you?
>
> UTC +10:00
>
> Australia, Geelong Our capital is Melbourne

So, everything looks fine here.

> Greg, if there is something not right with my answer, please let me know.
> Again thanks greatly for your help.

In a previous message, you thought that your system clock or your time
zone was set wrong, because you read one of the attribution lines of
one of my replies, and you thought it said you had sent your message
at the wrong time.

As it turns out, I'm fairly certain you misread the attribution line,
which was reporting time in a 12-hour format, with "PM".  You saw the
06:... and thought it was saying you had sent your email at 6 AM, but
you missed the "PM" at the end.

As far as I know, it was a simple misread on your part, and nothing is
actually wrong.

In fact, things should be even better now, because you provoked me into
reading about mutt's attribution and date_format variables, and changing
the silly default format to a more sensible format.  You'll note that
this reply uses an attribution with a 24-hour format.