On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 01:06:04 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> David Chmelik composed on 2024-06-19 04:39 (UTC):
>> On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 22:39:15 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>>> David Chmelik composed on 2024-06-19 02:24 (UTC):
>>>
>>> # systemctl get-default # reports bootup state # systemctl set-default
>>> graphical.target sets GUI as default state # systemctl set-default
>>> multi-user.target brings system up without GUI running
>>>
>>> For a single boot to finish at multi-user, simply append 3 to the end
>>> of the (usually wrapped) linu line after striking E key at the default
>>> Grub menu selection. If already using multi-user.target default,
>>> append 5 to linu line to get a full GUI boot.
>
>> What about in the case I use SysVInit so don't have systemctl?
>
> One way, rather extreme but effective, would be to find a distribution
> neither systemd nor Debian based.

I used them more than 5/9 my life (since 1997): *BSD UNIX & Slackware GNU/
Linux (also Debian sometime 1998-2002, and since 2020 on servers that only
run inside OpenVZ) but desktop broke so am temporarily using family spare
(not reinstalling... not powerful enough to do much extra... generally not
building software/packages, and users don't want operating systems even
more difficult when returned).  Of course, these older ones are superior
due to being strictly UNIX[-like].  I know, but doesn't help meantime.

> Many have or had more than Debian's two sustaining runlevels. E.g.
> Fedora, Mageia and openSUSE and those much like them before systemd
> existed are where those numbers 3 & 5 came from. Whereas in Debian there
> were only 1/S and 2 for sustaining runlevels, for simply single and
> everything, the others had more granularity:

RedHat/Fedora is originator of systemd and those use it, which none
originated runlevels.  Debian is older than all those.

> Slackware uses 4 instead of 5 but otherwise is the same, and still
> focused on SysV.

That's what I wish I could've set in Debian.

> I never did learn any easy way to do as requested in Debian prior to
> systemd. I didn't use it much then either. For me, systemd has mostly
> been an advantage over SysV tradition.

Hasn't for me: a mess (could do paragraph rant why but maybe pointless).
Debian documentation says SysVInit is still mostly 'supported'.