On 19/06/24 at 04:24, David Chmelik wrote:
How can I disable GUI/X for next boot?  I just want to run it when I
decide as startx/startxfce/etc.

When I occasionally need to boot in the CLI instead of the GUI I boot the system in "recovery mode", it's an option of the GRUB's menu shown at boot time in "Advanced options for Debian...." menu. Then, after given the root's password, I switch to multi-user target with the command:

~# systemctl isolate multi-user.target

When you end jobs with the CLI you can switch to the GUI with "startx". To enable "recovery mode" in GRUB you need to edit /etc/default/grub file and comment out the line:

#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

It's a default setting, so it should be already comment out.

Cheers,
--
Franco Martelli