On 20/06/2024 08:21, Greg Wooledge wrote:
As we're nearing the end of life for Debian 10, I'm still wondering
what MoinMoin wiki users are supposed to do.  (This includes
<https://wiki.debian.org/> as near as I can see from SystemInfo.)

MoinMoin 1.x requires Python2, and Debian 11 and newer don't have
Python2 any more.  They only have Python3.

Should we install Python 2.x from upstream, build it in /usr/local,
figure out all of the modules that are required for MoinMoin, build
those as well, and then symlink /usr/bin/python to our local Python2?

Or is there some path forward from MoinMoin 1.x to 2.x?  (Is MoinMoin 2.x
even a functional product?)

Or should we burn the entire site down, migrate to some other wiki
engine (please gods don't let it need PHP), and start all over?

Or should we just keep running Debian 10 past end of life?

You could run a Docker container with a Debian 10-based system with only what you need for MoinMoin 1.x. At least it is more isolated than installing Python 2.x directly in the system.

But it only postpones the problem (an so do other solutions). Eventually you'll need to upgrade to a newer version of MoinMoin or switch to a similar product. I am not familiar with the options, but perhaps another product can import your data.

--
BOFH excuse #129:

The ring needs another token

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI