On Wednesday, 26 June 2024 00:26:00 BST George at Clug wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26-06-2024 at 05:43 Lee wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 11:47 AM Joe  wrote:
> > > On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 09:53:41 -0400
[snip]
> If you have any grips or difficulties, please mention them. After five years
> of using XFCE, I no longer have desires to go back to Windows. Steam has
> helped me play the few Windows based games that I play with my children. I
> have yet to master Wine, but then Linux has all the programs I need so I
> don't have much need for Wine.

I've been mightily impressed by steam. The only reason my win10 is still
around is because it has skyrim on it (and a load of mods). Skyrim works under
steam but I can't be bothered figuring out how to get the mod manager and other
tools to work.

Within steam you can elect to designate a particular proton (aka wine) version
for a game. Google usually solves figuring that out.

Fwiw, the only thing about win10 which has impressed me is WSL2. Not enough to
advocate keeping win10 but to avoid me coaching newbies through putty. Can't
really recommend cygwin any more.

OP:
The best thing about linux is, when you gain a bit of knowledge, just how
little the operating system matters wrt to your data. I've been depreciating a
couple of centos boxes (raid 6 servers). They're now debian and the data disks
are unchanged. Loosely, all I did was create a debian VM with passthrough to
an ssd, copied the samba/nfs/iscsi configs over and stuck the ssd into an esata
caddy on the back of the centos server. Downtime was reboot time plus time to
go into the bios and change the boot drive to the esata.

Sod's law came into play (in reverse). I bought an rpi4 and a 5 bay usb
enclosure. Spent many many days backing up (rsync) both boxes. If I'd not had
a backup something horrible would have happened. ;-)

My old kmail client was running gentoo from, must be 15 years ago, KDE 3.5
iirc. I exported all its emails then imported them into this kmail. I didn't
expect it to work. Ditto backup so it did.