On 6/27/24 14:23, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:

Finding a file as it existed months or years ago can be tedious.  For
example, find A/MailMessages as it was at 2023.02.07.  Otherwise the
backup system works well.

On one computer I use rsync to do what appear to be complete backups, only
files identical to the previous run are hard-linked.  This appears to fail
sometimes (not sure under what conditions), so I wrote scripts to find
identical files and link them.  I think the scripts are too complex for my
pea brain to debug them successfully, so there are errors.  But they seem to
work.

I can imagine a complete copy of A onto an external drive for each
backup; but with most files in A not changing during the backup interval,
that is inefficient.

When rsync works, that is exactly what it fixes.

When I boot the file server (possibly today but definitely tomorrow) I'll
post my backup script.

--
Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me,
if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't