On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 04:06:18PM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> On 27/06/2024 15:23, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
> > Now I have a pair of 500 GB external USB drives.  Large compared to my
> > working data of ~3 GB.  Please suggest improvements to my backup
> > system by exploiting these drives.  I can imagine a complete copy of A
> > onto an external drive for each backup; but with most files in A not
> > changing during the backup interval, that is inefficient.
>
> rnapshot

Rsnapshot is written in Perl and is based on an article:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I read that article a while back, and not knowing of the existence of
rsnapshot, I modified my existing bash/rsync backup script to use this
guy's methods. In essence, rather than backing up the same file again with
rsync, you just make a hard link to it. All "copies" of that file on the
backup link to that one copy. Saves a tremendous amount of room. I keep 7
backup directories on my backup drives (one for each day), and a cron job
fires of the backup each day.

You can take a look at the script at:

https://gitlab.com/paulmfoster/bkp

Paul