> Do you really run ntp?  You might already be running ntpsec,
> its replacement.

I call it ntp but yes, it's ntpsec.

>> The /etc/adjtime is supposed to be there for such purposes but it seems
>> to be mostly unused: I assume its "UTC" setting is respected but the
>> first and second lines indicate it has not been updated since 2015
>> (i.e. when that Debian install was used in another machine).
> You might find your clock drift in /var/lib/ntpsec/ntp.drift
> or wherever /etc/ntpsec/ntp.conf specifies it.

Oh, indeed, thanks.  I had computed it manually from
`journalctl | grep stepped` and it gave close enough results.
The question remains: how to make use of that info upon wakeup to adjust
the "initial" time before NTP takes over.

> I don't know how to speed up correcting the clock as I use chrony,
> but ntpsec may have similar directives available.

Indeed, I could try and shorten the time before the NTP info takes
precedence over the RTC-derived initial approximation (I haven't found
any way to tell ntpsec to do that, short of limiting the maximum
interval between pollings or maybe killing&restarting the deamon, both
of which seem too crude for my sense of aesthetics), but I'm more
interested in improving the initial approximation.

        Stefan