On Fri 28 Jun 2024 at 09:41:06 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> Stefan writes:
> > The question remains: how to make use of that info upon wakeup to
> > adjust the "initial" time before NTP takes over.
>
> hwclock -a can do this.

Sure it can.

> If you use it be sure ntpsec isn't trying to do
> the same thing.

It's not clear to me which NTP (protocol) packages are set up to
use the util-linux stuff, assuming you're not rolling your own
startup/shutdown scripts. (That's the problem in the Subject
line, in a sense.)

Does ntpsec have this facility built in, or are you expected to
link it up to hwclock?

The critical part of the whole operation AIUI is not what happens
at startup, but at shutdown: writing to the RTC, and the correct
preservation of its state.

Cheers,
David.