Hello,

I use the cloud solution OpenNebula to manage VMs in a cloud. There I
have several VMs with Debian 11 running successfully,
sddm, lightdm and gdm3 are installed as display managers. When I choose
one of them, the corresponding GUI login is displayed in the VNC
display of the VM.

However, after installing a VM with Debian 12, none of these three
display managers shows its GUI login screen after boot. With sddm it is
noticeable that the process sddm-helper crashes shortly after it is
started.

To get to the bottom of the problem, I upgraded a bullseye VM
to a bookworm VM step by step: first libc, then the Xorg-
packages, then the kernel, then sddm, lightdm and gdm3, and finally the
rest. Unfortunately, it was only after the rest that the GUI login no
longer appeared; therefore I am not really any further with the answer
to the question what exactly the problem is.

No matter what I tell qemu what video driver to use
(cirrus, vga, vmvga, virtio), the problem occurs with all of them.
On a real hardware the graphical login is displayed, with the same
software packages.

Can anyone help?

Regards
  Christoph