> Can anyone help?
My first thoughts were firewall issues.

https://docs.opennebula.io/6.8/quick_start/deployment_basics/try_opennebula_on_kvm.html
open ports: 22 (SSH), 80 (Sunstone), 2616 (FireEdge), 5030 (OneGate).

https://docs.opennebula.io/6.8/installation_and_configuration/frontend_installation/install.html#frontend-fw
Firewall ConfigurationĀ¶

The list below shows the ports used by OpenNebula. These ports need to be open
for OpenNebula to work properly:

Port       Description
22         Front-end host SSH server
2474     OneFlow server
2616     Next-generation GUI server FireEdge
2633     Main OpenNebula Daemon (oned), XML-RPC API endpoint
4124     Monitoring daemon (both TCP/UDP)
5030     OneGate server
9869     GUI server Sunstone
29876   noVNC Proxy Server

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/working-with-security-groups.html#adding-security-group-rule

On Tuesday, 02-07-2024 at 21:38 Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the cloud solution OpenNebula to manage VMs in a cloud. There I

I have not used OpenNebula so I cannot comment on this software. I have some
experience with running VMs using VMware, KVM, and Hyper-V. I hope some of my
comments may be useful.

I am curious, why do you use OpenNebula ? (I am not saying you should not use
OpenNebula, I am just curious why this choice).

What hypervisor is running your Debian VMs?

And can you use any other VM management tools? If so what happens when using
those?  While it is unlikely to suite your needs, are you able to use Linux's
Virt-Manager to connect without issues?.

As Virt-Manager does not need an endpoint to be installed, I have found it is
effective for testing/working with KVM VMs.

https://opennebula.io/open-source-alternative-to-vmware/
OpenNebula helps you migrate your Enterprise Cloud from VMware to a
cost-effective open source virtualization platform based on KVM.

https://docs.opennebula.io/6.8/installation_and_configuration/opennebula_services/onegate.html
OneGate ConfigurationĀ¶
The OneGate server allows Virtual Machines to pull and push information from/to
OpenNebula.

> have several VMs with Debian 11 running successfully,
> sddm, lightdm and gdm3 are installed as display managers. When I choose
> one of them, the corresponding GUI login is displayed in the VNC
> display of the VM.
>
> However, after installing a VM with Debian 12, none of these three
> display managers shows its GUI login screen after boot. With sddm it is
> noticeable that the process sddm-helper crashes shortly after it is
> started.

In crashes, do you mean the server's log files show that the display manager
has terminated due to some error?

I assume ssh to a terminal is still working, but it is worth me asking to be
sure.