> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Touchpad_Synaptics#Touchpad_not_recognized_after_shutdown_from_Arch

> Certain touchpads (Elantech in particular) will fail to be
>   recognized as a device of any sort after a standard shutdown from
>  Arch Linux.

> This seems to fit your problem description.

Interesting.  Is this a new thing or has the problem been there for a
while?

I can't tell from the above description.

The laptop has been running more or less continously, execpt for nightly
suspends, since I bought it in the summer of 2022, and I haven't noticed
anything strange with the touchpad before.

Also I don't have any windows to boot into. I scrubbed that when I
installed debian.

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Touchpad_Synaptics#MATE

> MATE will by default overwrite various options for your touchpad.

> Maybe your problem has something to do with MATE?

Could be.  I tried disabling MATE config writing as outloned in the
above URL and logged out of the desktop and back in again.

But the touchpad still isn't working, unfortunately?