On 4/7/24 18:34, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
But let me try: perhaps because the people who set up the mailing
list don't believe in enforcing behavior by technological means,
but rather by convincing people?

If I understand the history correctly:

- All early email lists were text only

- After some long time people started sending mixed format emails to lists

- Shortly afterwards list administrators asked people to not send mixed format emails

- Since then people either in ignorance of list etiquette or ignorance of their mailer properties kept on sending mixed format emails to lists

The problem is mostly because users have email software that automatically uses mixed format. That's not their fault as they are probably unaware of the problem.

List administrators have the ability to ban users who violate etiquette and in this list actively do so. Banning a user for using mixed format in violation of list etiquette is obviously not an option.

Unless there is a compelling reason to accept mixed format ( HTML ) I can't see why the list can't filter submissions to text only - which is the list policy anyway - and by doing so provide education to users about what the list format is.