Hi!

My name is Demetrius Stanton. It was suggested that I reach out for a
problem I'm experiencing trying to install gdb on my system. I'm willing to
submit whatever information is necessary to try and get this issue
resolved.

I recently encountered a weird error, and I can't seem to find a fix
online. When I run the command ` sudo apt update && sudo apt install gdb -y
`, I receive an 404 error stating failed to fetch
https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-dbg_2.36-9%2bdeb12u*4*_amd64.deb.
When I navigate to the  https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/ site,
I'm able to find  libc6-dbg_2.36-9+deb12u*7*_amd64.deb. Though I'm
reasonably confident I could use wget to download and then dpkg to install
this file, I am concerned I could adversely affect the stability of my
system. I'm sure it would be safer for me to use apt to manage my packages.

How do I proceed forward from here?

I posed this question to <debian-rele...@lists.debian.org> and received the
following in response:

"
Welcome to Debian.

You might be able to resolve this issue you have by running

   sudo apt update

followed by

   sudo apt full-upgrade

and resolve resulting errors, if any occur, and then try reinstalling gdb.
The particular error - attempting to fetch and install what looks like an
out of date version of libc6-dbg_2.36-9 - suggests your system might not be
fully up to date. If that helps, good; otherwise:

You would do better to ask this question on the debian-user list (
debian-user@lists.debian.org). It is a fairly active list that includes
people with a wide range of knowledge and who generally are willing to help.

You should provide additional information (and will be asked to do so if
you do not), since what you give above is a bit sketchy. In particular, I
suggest you include in the question a copy of your /etc/apt/sources.list
and any files that are in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d. It might
also be useful to include a copy of your /etc/debian_version and
/etc/os-release files, which will establish the exact update level of your
system.

In general, it is probably a bad idea to poke around in /debian/pool/ in
the distribution repository for things to install. Those directories
contain software for several releases and mixing versions from different
releases may, as you suspect, result in an unstable system. Using apt is
much safer, but depends on correct setup of the files in the /etc/apt/
directory that describe the range of software installed.

Regards,
<redacted>
"
Attempting the prescribed fix yielded the following:

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
[sudo] password for demetrius:
Hit:1 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Hit:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
Hit:3 https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable InRelease
Hit:4 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
N: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'firmware component' value from
'non-free' to 'non-free-firmware'
N: More information about this can be found online in the Release notes at:
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.html#non-free-split
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
$ sudo apt install gdb -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libbabeltrace1 libboost-regex1.74.0 libc6-dbg libdebuginfod-common
libdebuginfod1 libipt2 libsource-highlight-common
  libsource-highlight4v5
Suggested packages:
  gdb-doc gdbserver
  gdb libbabeltrace1 libboost-regex1.74.0 libc6-dbg libdebuginfod-common
libdebuginfod1 libipt2 libsource-highlight-common
  libsource-highlight4v5
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,458 kB/12.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 28.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 libc6-dbg amd64
2.36-9+deb12u4
  404  Not Found [IP: 2a04:4e42:d::644 443]
E: Failed to fetch
https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-dbg_2.36-9%2bdeb12u4_amd64.deb
 404  Not Found [IP: 2a04:4e42:d::644 443]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?

So now I'm reaching out.
Here's the info that was recommended I add:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12.2.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 with firmware 20231007-10:29]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
brave-browser-release.list  google-chrome.list  vscode.list
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg]
https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code
stable main
$ cat /etc/debian_version
12.5
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/";
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support";
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/";

If there's anything you can suggest to help, it would be greatly
appreciated!

Demetrius Stanton