On 2024-07-15 at 07:42, Demetrius Stanton wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Demetrius Stanton. It was suggested that I reach out for a
> problem I'm experiencing trying to install gdb on my system. I'm willing to
> submit whatever information is necessary to try and get this issue
> resolved.
>
> I recently encountered a weird error, and I can't seem to find a fix
> online. When I run the command ` sudo apt update && sudo apt install gdb -y
> `, I receive an 404 error stating failed to fetch
> https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-dbg_2.36-9%2bdeb12u*4*_amd64.deb.

> How do I proceed forward from here?
>
> I posed this question to <debian-rele...@lists.debian.org> and received the
> following in response:

<snip>

> The particular error - attempting to fetch and install what looks like an
> out of date version of libc6-dbg_2.36-9 - suggests your system might not be
> fully up to date.

<snip>

> You should provide additional information (and will be asked to do so if
> you do not), since what you give above is a bit sketchy. In particular, I
> suggest you include in the question a copy of your /etc/apt/sources.list
> and any files that are in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

<snip>

> Attempting the prescribed fix yielded the following:
>
> $ sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
> [sudo] password for demetrius:
> Hit:1 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
> Hit:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
> Hit:3 https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable InRelease
> Hit:4 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease

<snip>

> Err:1 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 libc6-dbg amd64
> 2.36-9+deb12u4
>   404  Not Found [IP: 2a04:4e42:d::644 443]
> E: Failed to fetch
> https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-dbg_2.36-9%2bdeb12u4_amd64.deb
>  404  Not Found [IP: 2a04:4e42:d::644 443]
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
> --fix-missing?
>
> So now I'm reaching out.
> Here's the info that was recommended I add:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12.2.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD
> Binary-1 with firmware 20231007-10:29]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware
> deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib
> $ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> brave-browser-release.list  google-chrome.list  vscode.list
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
> deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
> ### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
> # You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
> deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
> ### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
> # You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
> deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code
> stable main

This sources.list file is missing entries for the portions of the
archive that contain the debug-symbols packages.

For comparison, here is a trio of successive lines from my own
sources.list:

>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free non-free-firmware
>> contrib
>> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free
>> non-free-firmware contrib
>> deb http://debug.mirrors.debian.org/debian-debug/ testing-debug main
>> non-free non-free-firmware contrib

These specify where APT should look for A: the binary packages, B: the
source packages, and D: the debug-symbols packages, for Debian testing.

(I configure sources list with the names 'stable', 'testing', and 'sid',
rather than using the release codenames; I do this on purpose, but it is
typically recommended to use the release codenames, and you are probably
correct for your situation that you use them.)

Try adding

deb https://debug.mirrors.debian.org/debian-debug/ bookworm-debug main
contrib

(and/or similar for any other official Debian repositories you want to
get debug packages from), and repeating the suggested 'apt update'
command, then installing the desired package(s) again.

I don't think a full-upgrade will be necessary in your circumstances,
although it would *probably* not hurt. If the install attempt still
fails, you can try 'apt full-upgrade' and see whether it produces
something reasonable.

> If there's anything you can suggest to help, it would be greatly
> appreciated!

I hope that is enough to lead you somewhere useful!

--
   The Wanderer