On 7/16/24 6:31 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
I haven't looked at VB in a long time, but I have a real need for a Windows host to port some Linux libraries to Windows in order to support the Raku language.

I now have lots of memory and disk space which was always a significant issue when I used it before, and my use case is much different. Then I was trying to show Windows users how they could run Linux, now I want to help Windows folks to use a new programming language that was developed on *nix systems.

Thus my question is: Has anyone use a recent version of VB to run Windows with satisfactory results? (Note I still have a legal copy of Win 10 on a CD as well as a portable DVD player with a USB connector.)

Thank you my fellow Debian users!

Best regards,

-Tom

I use "Virtual Machine Manager" now, instead of VirtualBox (mostly because of the more-libre licensing; last I used VB, you had to use their proprietary pay-for add-on for USB3 support, if I recall correctly), but I used to use VB.

They both work fine to host Windows, with about 95% functionality (I've mostly used Win10 Enterprise and Win11 Enterprise), with the 5% being things like booting from a UEFI instead of Legacy Boot setup (which I think may no longer be an issue), etc. This assumes, of course, that you have plenty of RAM (32 GB seems good, with 16GB of that going to the Windows host, assuming you're only running one VM at a time) and drive space.

I've never done gaming or video-intensive stuff, so can't speak to that.

Since these apps (VB and Virt-Man) are both free (mostly, at least), try it; the worst that'll happen (probably) is a waste of time.

--

Kent