I installed on a fresh disk the nightly build of Trixie and it works a treat and it configured the monitor to it's highest resolution using the nouveau module thing. Unfortunately I broke my previous Trixie installation trying to get rid of the nvidia module.
It still works with "startx" but the resolution is low.
Apt let me install the 6.9.8 kernel whereas wouldn't dist-upgrade, probably as it had done that before.
I saw on the net to "update-initrmfs -u" so I did that.
So I think that earlier install has a kernel now free of the nvidia but there must be some systemd left referencing stuff I've deleted because there is some message at boot about can't find or load a module and X wont automatically start. I'd quite like to get that earlier install working cleanly to remind me of what was installed.

Any tips for querying systemd what the complaints are about would be appreciated.
mick