On Tue 16 Jul 2024 at 21:35:39 (+0100), mick.crane wrote:
> I installed on a fresh disk the nightly build of Trixie and it works a
> treat and it configured the monitor to it's highest resolution using
> the nouveau module thing.
> Unfortunately I broke my previous Trixie installation trying to get
> rid of the nvidia module.
> It still works with "startx" but the resolution is low.
> Apt let me install the 6.9.8 kernel whereas wouldn't dist-upgrade,
> probably as it had done that before.
> I saw on the net to "update-initrmfs -u" so I did that.
> So I think that earlier install has a kernel now free of the nvidia
> but there must be some systemd left referencing stuff I've deleted
> because there is some message at boot about can't find or load a
> module and X wont automatically start.
> I'd quite like to get that earlier install working cleanly to remind
> me of what was installed.

You don't need to be able to run a system merely to list what's
installed on it. Just mount the root filesystem somewhere, like
/mnt, and type:

  $ dpkg-query --admindir=/mnt/var/lib/dpkg -W --showformat
'${Package}_${Version}\n' | less

Note the single quotes, to avoid the shell wiping out the format string.

Cheers,
David.

  • systemd errors mick.crane
    • Listing packages installed on broken system, was systemd... David Wright