Adam,

I dislike people to reply to my questions but do not answer the question,
instead suggest I do something totally different.

Please forgive me, as that is what I am about to do.

I have had, what seems to me to be similar issue, my solution was to set up an
authoritative BIND9 server on the email/web server in question, and have the
server first use its own BIND9 server's DNS service first.

Admittedly I did not care if my authoritative BIND9 server went out the the
Internet for any queries for which it was not authoritative.

It did allow me to run the server isolated either from the Internet and/or
connected to the Internet.

George.