Michel Verdier wrote:
> On 2024-07-28, Michael Grant wrote:
>
> +1 to all you say.
>
> > Maybe one of you younger folks can teach me how one deals with keeping
> > up with a forum like that.
>
> Once upon a time there was usenet. After a while there was a mail-to-news
> gateway. It ease a lot coping with this change of medium. If the same
> could be done with mailing lists <-> forums, perhaps the miracle would
> come again :)

There is, as far as I know, exactly one system that works that
way.

The good news: it's open source with a Debian-acceptable
license.

The bad news: it's not packaged. It appears to be primarily, or
solely, the effort of one person. And it only has one running
instance that I'm aware of.

https://forum.dlang.org/ is the discussion system for the D
language. The web "forum" is a front end for Usenet. The mailing
list is a gateway for Usenet. And, of course, you can access it
via a Usenet server.

It also generates RSS (Atom) feeds and runs an IRC channel.

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed has the source code.

-dsr-