On Thu 01 Aug 2024 at 10:32:27 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2024 at 14:30:05 +0000, fxkl4...@protonmail.com wrote:
> > my nsswitch.conf is "hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns"
> > i don't remenber changing it in the past few decades
> > i recently had a situation that made me question the ordering
> > my dns server is my primary router
> > should dns be first
>
> It would be *extremely* unusual to want to consult DNS before /etc/hosts.
> I recommend leaving files first unless you have a *really* good reason
> to switch them.
>
> I have no comment on mdns4_minimal because I don't really know what that
> is.

AIUI mdns4_minimal is for devices that configure themselves using
multicast DNS on .local. If you put dns first, then the names of any
.local devices will be leaked out of your LAN and on to the Internet's
DNS servers. [NOTFOUND=return] is what prevent that happening IF you
leave the order alone. (BTW don't use .local for your LAN domain name.)

Cheers,
David.