On 2024-08-01 12:12:31 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-08-01 at 15:26 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Should I switch to the proprietary nvidia driver on these machines?
>
> Without NVidia's graphics accelerator, using software rendering with
> nouveau is painfully slow. Sometimes even the mouse cursor is frozen.

Well, with an old machine (~ 10 years old), nouveau was indeed
painfully slow (e.g. when moving a window or when scrolling),
but only with multiple screens. I did not have any issue with
a single screen. And my new machines are OK with nouveau.

> This is especially the case if you're looking at a web page that has an
> annoying video ad playing in a sidebar.
>
> The NVidia 390 driver is not available for Debian 12 (and it might not
> have been available for Debian 11). I wasted a lot of my time, and a
> lot of bandwidth in this discussion list, trying to install it. On my
> desktop, I installed a Quadro K2200 card to replace by GeForce card --
> so now a computer that I use less frequently is stuck with nouveau. On
> a laptop, I'm stuck with nouveau or returning to Debian 10.

The NVidia 390 driver is still available in unstable:

zira:~> apt-show-versions -a nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver:amd64 390.157-6 install ok installed
No stable version
No stable-updates version
No testing version
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver:amd64 390.157-8 unstable ftp.debian.org
No experimental version
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver:amd64/unstable 390.157-6 upgradeable to 390.157-8

I suppose that you can use it even with Debian 12 (I haven't checked
the dependencies, though), but you need to request the unstable
packages in your sources.list file.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>